Recent Posts

Just Saying

Just Saying

Saturday 3 May 2014

Postcard To The Librarian

Dear Ms. Librarian,

I hope you are well. I am a regular reader, and have visited your library quite often. Almost every weekend, if nothing came up at work or home. I spent numerous hours there. Sometimes, it goes past the closing hours, and you happily extend it by 15-20 minutes, so that I could finish what I started.

There is a reason why I read. I read because it helps me to learn, to understand, to grow. Different books, styles of writing, stories, poems, articles, etc. all of them fascinate me. My elders told me that there is no end to the learning, and that one is and must be a student throughout his/ her life. Books are one of the means of learning, and so I follow this hobby.

Over the years, I have visited different book stores and libraries in search of various kinds of books. But for last 7 months, I've paid many visits to your library. What is so different here that attracts me? You are the difference. Forgive me for being blunt. And this is not a letter for re-issuing a book either.

You must have identified who I am. I'm sorry that I never asked your name, or ever told mine. I never got any books issued, but kept coming to the library to read here. I'm sorry for not paying a visit through last few weeks.

I still remember the first time we had a talk. You said, "Hi". I said, "Hello". And then we discussed what I was reading. For a change, I was reading "I too had a love story - by Ravinder Singh". I was stuck on a particular page for more than 10 minutes, and you seemed to observe that from a distance. So you came up to me and asked, "Any problem?" "No, I was just finishing the book." "OK. Don't take me wrong, but you're stuck on this page for like more than 10 minutes." "Hahaha!" I Laughed. "That's a first time. I don't have experience with girls staring at me that long." "Hahaha", you blushed a little and said, "That's a curse actually. I am a librarian, you see. I'm a reader by default. I read everything."  

OK! Now that was a catchy line, and I was impressed I swear!!! 

"So what did you read?" "Well, for starters, this is not the first time you are reading this book, and" "And?" "You're able to relate a short part of your life with this page." Now I didn't know how to react on your observation. "Yes, you're right." I said with a smile. " I don't know how many times I've read this book, but the most intriguing chapter of the book have always been the same. The page where Khushi and Ravinder met each other in that hotel room. Their first face to conversation with each other, when no one was around. It made me remember my first time." "I had something similar my first time too." You said and continued. "So that makes two of us. It's a long lost story though." "Same here." I said.

From that day, I made a habit of visiting the library, hoping to see you, talk to you. You were no different. You always used to give me good references to read. Philosophy, Science, Love, Autobiographies. One names it, and you show up with the best ones. I think you have read me and my mood in the best way, because you always had the right choice of books based on my mood. I never told you how I felt, but you always knew somehow. Everything you did while keeping a fair distance and with true impartiality with other readers of the library. And every single day, it made me like you even more.

I don't know anything about you, and you probably wouldn't know me either. But as you are a good reader, I know you will be able to understand a little bit of me through this letter. I have been away from the library to see if I really felt anything for you, or was it just infatuation. I don't know if you missed me, but I surely missed you.

And so I am asking you to let me read you. I am asking you to issue a book on my name, and the name of this book is "You, the librarian.". So to start things again, would you tell me your name?
RSVP. My address is on the back of this post card. I'll be waiting.

With love,
Jatin
A Reader

No comments:

Post a Comment

Designed By Blogger Templates